Monday, December 22, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to Fresh and Healthy Vegetarian!

I decided I wanted to write a food blog (not that there aren't already ten million out there) because, as a vegetarian, I love to create and share recipes. But the one thing I've noticed is that most vegetarian blogs are strictly one style of vegetarian cooking or another: vegetarian with dairy, vegan, or raw-food vegan, and ne'er the triad shall meet. Obviously, there are levels of restriction which become deeper with each type of vegetarianism. This would make it useless for a raw food vegan to peruse a straight-vegetarian or even a vegan food blog.

That being said: my intention as a vegetarian is to eat as much fresh, healthy food as possible. I don't really think I would be happy restricting my diet completely in one way or another, but at the same time I feel there are deep benefits to eating raw-food, and vegan, as the majority in my diet . But I'm simply not going to give up a nibble of cheese once in a while (why should I when they put it out free at Whole Foods on Sundays?) .

As long as I realize my intention of eating a majority of fresh, healthy foods, I then also realize I don't really have to be completely restrictive (unless I want to be at times, for varying reasons) .

So my food-creation style is a mish-mash of mostly vegan and raw-food vegan styles of cooking. But don't be shocked to see the odd crumble of feta cheese in a dish once in a while. It's rare, and I always provide an alternative, but for some of us, eating raw-food or vegan 100% of the time just isn't realistic or even wanted. For my cooked recipes I will always try to be creative enough to write it for a raw-vegan as well. I like to convert recipes, because sometimes I feel like eating a dish one way and other times, another.

So this blog is my chance to explore eating a majority of fresh, healthy food. Let's see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment