Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sweet Potato, Kale tortillas with Lime and Chili Sauce


I guess its because the weather has been warm here recently, but I've been uncooking up a storm and loving it. I like cooked vegan, but I honestly LOVE raw vegan. It's something to do with the freshness of the taste of everything, the fact that I know I'm eating completely healthily, AND the fact that so much of raw vegan is not just about the taste but about the presentation. I'm inspired by Russell James' blog at The Raw Chef Blog because not only is the food he prepares completely delicious sounding but also looks gorgeous. Which to me is such an important part of preparing food: make it look as appetizing as it tastes. So, I've been on a renewed raw food kick. My family seems to be enjoying it, luckily!

Here is tonight's dinner: Sweet potato, kale tortillas with Lime & Chili Sauce.

So, about a day or two beforehand, dehydrate some corn tortillas. There are recipes all over the blogosphere for this, but mine consist of about two cups of corn, one vine-ripened tomato, a half cup of ground flax seeds, and some cumin. Mix it in a cuisinart. Pour the batter onto dehydrator sheets and flip when the edges start to curl and the bottom is dry enough not to tear. The whole process can take hours or even 2 complete days if you have a vertical dehydrator like mine.

It's okay if you over-dehydrate it, as I found out the hard way. Just stick all the tortillas in a plastic bag together and about a day later they are all soft enough to roll. Crazy. You've got to love this kind of food prep. Mistakes come undone.

The filling is 2 raw sweet potatoes (peeled and) shredded in the cuisinart on the shred blade, mixed with one bunch of deveined kale, which is put through the cuisinart on the S blade until it's fined pulverized. Mix it together in a bowl with a half cup of pumpkin seeds.

Make the chili lime sauce with a cup of olive oil, 1/4 to 1/2 cup shoyu, several garlic cloves, 2 tsps of that pickled asian chili-garlic sauce, juice of 2 limes, and two tsp either agave nectar or honey. I used the Magic Bullet to whip this into a perfectly emulsified sauce, then mixed it into the sweet potatoe, kale, and pumpkin seeds to marinate a while.

Then I just dropped a couple tablespoons of it into the corn tortillas and rolled them up, drizzling some more sauce on top.

I have to say, it was totally delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment